I told my son we were making Nutella banana monkey cake for our church meeting, and he asked if we were putting monkeys in there. Reasonable question for a toddler.After I told him no, there were no monkeys on the ingredients list, he asked if we could put ponies in there. Umm, what? (Note to self: spend more time teaching toddler about animals)
But weird eating habits aside, this cake basically exploded my concept of dessert baking. I know most people just eat Nutella with a spoon (oh wait, is that just me?), but did you know it’s probably the best baking ingredient since, well, ever? Just look at this cake. Not only was it gorgeous (I mean, there’s Nutella literally spilling over the sides), but it was mouthwateringly delicious…because of Nutella. Did I mention Nutella? You really don’t even need any more reasons for why you should try this recipe out. Nutella.
For the Nutella holder…I mean the cake:
2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup of milk, warmed to 110 F
3 large overripe bananas, pureed
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup Nutella
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream
Instructions for dough:
- Combine warm milk, white sugar, and yeast in standing mixer bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes to activate yeast.
- In a separate bowl, puree bananas.
- Once yeast is activated, add in melted butter and bananas to standing mixer and mix on low with a dough hook.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients (flour, salt, nutmeg). Knead with dough hooks for about 8 minutes.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1-1.5 hours, or until doubled.
Sugaring the dough:
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- After dough has doubled in size, pluck out lumps of dough (ping-pong ball sized), roll in sugar mixture, and place into your bundt cake pan.
- Periodically sprinkle some of the sugar mixture over the dough in the pan.
Glazing and baking:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- While oven is preheating, melt butter in a small sauce pan. Whisk in brown sugar and stir continuously until mixture is light brown in color.
- Pour glaze over dough in pan and bake for 15 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn cake over onto a large plate.
While cake is baking, make the magic sauce (Nutella glaze, obviously)
- Measure out Nutella and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Bring cream to a low boil on stove. Pour over Nutella and chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Refrigerate to cool.
Ganaching (yes that’s officially a word):
- Remove ganache from fridge. Drizzle over the monkey bread and then dump the rest of it out in the center of the cake.
Last step, bring your cake to a party and take a bow as all of your friends ooh and ahh over your pretty, pony-free, Nutella masterpiece.